Friday, November 19, 2010

Yet another trip to the ER...for Tay

~November 19, 2010~

My poor baby. Today was supposed to be a leisurely day in our jammies. A not-going-anywhere day. Well, of course that wasn't the case.

Right after lunch, the kids were all wild and full of energy. They bolted outside and I followed them telling them to "calm down, you're getting crazy". They started swinging and seemed to simmer down a bit so I headed back in. Two seconds later, literally, Tay was crying like she was hurt. She came in holding her chin crying, "I'm bleeding!" Apparently, while swinging on her tummy she lost her balance and caught her chin on the deck. I couldn't tell how bad it was in the kitchen, so I took her to the bathroom. Um, yeah. It was definitely going to be a going-to-the-ER kind of day (the second trip for Tay). Mommy can't fix split skin. It had snapped right open. Amazing.

I was really hoping we wouldn't have to get stitches. This child came unglued last month when we got the rest of her 4-year vaccinations. She literally backed herself in a corner screaming, kicking, and hitting at me while begging the nurse, "Doctor, please don't give me a shot!" I did not want to repeat this. I know first hand that ER doctors and nurses will tie you down and strap you in a papoose in a heartbeat if you are that kid. I was that kid. Tay is SO that kid.

Thomas had stripped down to just a diaper, so I had to keep her calm while I threw some clothes on the kid. We got in the car and I explained that Mommy is not a doctor and needed a doctor to take a look at her ouchie to make sure it wouldn't get infected. This seemed to ease her mind a little. I told her there would be no shots, so she relaxed about that too.

When we got to the ER, the lady recognized me immediately. "Dear God!", I thought, "they are SO going to call CPS on me!" Perhaps I have this anxiety because we have been to the ER 3 times in the past 8 months. Four times including when we went with Nathan who happened to cut his eye open at OUR HOUSE! Perhaps it is because when I was little, I was that kid. The kid who always had to be rushed to the ER. The kid who had two ER visits within weeks of each other and told the nurse each time "Mommy pushed me down". They made my mother leave the room and questioned me. I somehow think it's Karma, but realize these are just my accident prone kids. True to form and true to my DNA.

While we waited to be called back, I snapped a couple of pictures with my iphone. There is no way the camera on my phone comes close to capturing this grizzly scene. It was gnarly.

The gaping wound.

Keeping it from bleeding while Mommy holds her tight.Life after dermabond. She was already so tired and the reality of the situation had her really emotional. Poor, sweet girl. This picture absolutely breaks my heart. It completely rips in half knowing my sweet girl is hurting.

After we got home, she had the option to take a nap in Mommy & Daddy's bed. She is still sleeping at 5:27 p.m. as is Thomas. I should probably wake them up, but feel like they need the rest after such a traumatic afternoon. Poor angels.