~December 7, 2010~
Yesterday was just a hot mess. Literally. From the minute I woke up until the moment I dozed off. The day started out with the hot water heater spewing and spitting hot water in to the garage. There was quite a bit of water, the carpet was soaked, and there was a noticeable trail leading out to the driveway. From the driveway perspective, pools and puddles of water collected everywhere. It was thought that once the pressure released, it would stop, so the kids and I went on with our day.
Five hours later when we returned, the hot water heater was profusely gushing water like a geyser. The driveway was covered, a steady stream seeped under the garage door, the laundry room mat was soaked, and water had seeped in to the master bath. At least 2 inches of water stood on top of the carpet in the garage and it looked like this would never end. We have the kids' Christmas presents, baby stuff, and donation items all in threat of being soaked. I called the neighbor to ask how to turn the damn thing off. It wouldn't budge for little ole pregnant me, so he came over with a wrench and, to my relief, the gushing and spitting stopped.
I called Daddy in tears and within a few hours he was home to help with damage control and to find a solution, since we no longer had hot water. A few hours after that, we had purchased our new unit, arranged for the thing to be delivered, and worked it out with the neighbor to have it installed tonight after Daddy gets home.
Poor Daddy worked for over an hour moving furniture, pulling carpet, mopping up water, and disposing of gallons and gallons of water from the old unit. The worse part was putting all that work in and not being able to take a hot shower after.
Today, all I want to do is wash clothes and run the dishwasher with hot water. I hope the new unit is successfully installed tonight and we can all bask in the glory of a nice hot shower tonight.